The Brights Feedback Topic

JCab747's picture
JCab747
May 9, 2017 - 1:51pm
Hiding in the woods of the planet Corpco are aliens that the colonists have called "The Brights" because they seem to glow. Streel officials consider them to be some sort of myth or at least a non-hazardous phenomena. They are, however, the remnants of an intelligent, silicon-based race that had colonized the planet back during the time of the Tetrarchs.

Currently the description (see the Brights document in the download section, which can be found here: http://www.starfrontiers.us/node/9737) indicates that they just feed off of the energy of plants and animals, but I think they should probably physically consume some food too -- to help acquire mass rather than doing an energy to matter/mass conversion.

They have Mentalist powers including a couple very powerful ones.

Feedback is most certainly welcome and wanted.

Such as:

Is this creature interesting? Is it too powerful? Too weak? Unbalanced? Etc. What could be done to make it better? Or, should it be scrapped altogether? 
Joe Cabadas
Comments:

jedion357's picture
jedion357
May 10, 2017 - 9:20am
Normally I'm not in favor of adding another sapient being to the very limited area of the frontier but I think I could warm up to the brights/malovents
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

JCab747's picture
JCab747
May 10, 2017 - 11:29am
True, we have many sapient species, though that is part of science fiction. In Star Trekthe Next Generation you are dealing with the "forehead of the week" as they are bumping into new races. With the Old Foggies... ah, Original Series... it's alternative Earths, aliens who posed as gods on Earth (Apollo), etc.

That being said, I am open to changing the entire scenario for Corpco. This could be too complicated.

Another thought is how to make it playable for non-Mentalist characters. Though the idea I have about this is akin to some horror movies where the protagonists are outmatched but they there is a weakness to the enemy that they can learn of and take advantage of.

I can't remember the name of it, but I remember one horror movie set in World War II with the Nazi's occupying a haunted castle with lots of death and mayhem.

The Brights are just another wayward colonial race... in this case, a remnant that befell disaster.
Joe Cabadas

jedion357's picture
jedion357
May 15, 2017 - 9:46am
You're referring to "The Keep" good book I hear the movie sucked.

I don't think you need to rework it. Brights with their criminal element being overpowered is ok with me. 

Can see Street looking to capitalise on them or exploit them which could lead to a scenario where a bright is trapped in an energy field at a corporate lab and unsuspecting PCs are trying to defend lab. With options for players to kill attacking brights or release captured bright (this option gets them fired) and third where the aid brights without appearing to. 
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

JCab747's picture
JCab747
May 15, 2017 - 1:16pm
jedion357 wrote:
You're referring to "The Keep" good book I hear the movie sucked.

I don't think you need to rework it. Brights with their criminal element being overpowered is ok with me. 

Can see Street looking to capitalise on them or exploit them which could lead to a scenario where a bright is trapped in an energy field at a corporate lab and unsuspecting PCs are trying to defend lab. With options for players to kill attacking brights or release captured bright (this option gets them fired) and third where the aid brights without appearing to. 


The Keep! That's it!
Joe Cabadas

jedion357's picture
jedion357
May 16, 2017 - 10:01am
I like the translucent skin and internal organs being visible.

However they seem like the zethra.
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

JCab747's picture
JCab747
May 16, 2017 - 4:25pm
jedion357 wrote:
I like the translucent skin and internal organs being visible.

However they seem like the zethra.


Well, maybe I should rethink the description somewhat so they aren't so zethra-like. If we are going to introduce a new creature, it should have some variety to it.
Joe Cabadas

JCab747's picture
JCab747
May 16, 2017 - 4:37pm
My original concept was based on an illustration by CJ Williams in Star Frontiersman #18, but I had tried to make the Brights a bit different than the sample alien provided.

http://www.starfrontiers.us/node/9758

http://www.starfrontiers.us/files/CJ%20Williams%20creature_0.JPG
Joe Cabadas

JCab747's picture
JCab747
May 16, 2017 - 4:37pm
He, or it, would look different than a zethra.
Joe Cabadas

jedion357's picture
jedion357
May 17, 2017 - 8:17am
JCab747 wrote:
jedion357 wrote:
I like the translucent skin and internal organs being visible.

However they seem like the zethra.


Well, maybe I should rethink the description somewhat so they aren't so zethra-like. If we are going to introduce a new creature, it should have some variety to it.

If that's the illustration then they don't look like the zethra the description sounded similar is all.
I might not be a dralasite, vrusk or yazirian but I do play one in Star Frontiers!

JCab747's picture
JCab747
May 17, 2017 - 8:00pm
I had altered the description for the Brights so they would be different from CJ Williams artwork. Now, if I had permission to use his illustration, I'd change my creature description.
Joe Cabadas

TerlObar's picture
TerlObar
May 18, 2017 - 5:12am
I'll see if I can get in touch with him and ask him.
Ad Astra Per Ardua!
Webmaster - The Star Frontiers Network & this site
Founding Editor - The Frontier Explorer Magazine
Managing Editor - The Star Frontiersman Magazine